This vintage postcard shows a recreation park in Cumberland Maryland called “Braddock Park” in the early 1900s. Shown here is a pastoral summer view of men, with the straw hats of those days, relaxing in the tree shaded park meadow.
This postcard is also #12 from The Braddock Road Series by John Kennedy Lacock, Amity, PA depicting scenes along the historic route that General Braddock took in 1755. Some of the cards, such as this one, had the ongoing history of Braddock’s trek on the back of the card as it related to the picture.
“On June 15, the entire force (Braddock’s force in 1755) moved from Martin’s Plantation and passed through the Southern part of Frost burg, where the first traces of the road through the town can be seen in the lot of James Gross. Thence the road passes westward through Braddock Park. Almost 150 yards north of the park is an old mile stone.”
Such a recreational park as this one in Maryland not only offers a place for people to gather and picnic, but maintains the history of Maryland by it’s association with the historic trek of General Braddock.